breaking news

Whither Kara Henderson?

May 21st, 2012 | by Diamond Joe
Whither Kara Henderson?
Diamond Joe's Media Rantz

It’s been weeks since Kara Henderson last appeared on NFL Network. All indications are she’s okay – but it’s odd for a regular face on the network to be gone for so long without any explanation.

[UPDATE, 9.9.12: Kara explains her absence from NFL Network - more here.]

Regular NFL Network viewers may have noticed that something was missing over the last several weeks – or, rather, someone.

The last time Kara Henderson appeared on NFLN was, I want to say, sometime between the scouting combine and the release of the 2012 NFL schedule. I’m not going to go crazy looking for the exact date, nor am I going to go to similar lengths to find out why she hasn’t been on NFLN’s air for a couple of months or so. But the point of this post is basically to draw attention to the fact that one of the network’s notable personalities has gone missing for an exorbitant amount of time, with no explanation – nor any hint from Henderson herself about her on-air absence to her thousands of Twitter followers. Other than an Easter shout-out to Warren Sapp and a Bubba Watson retweet, her account has been virtually silent since April 3.

You’d think it was her, and not Sapp, who was behind “Snitchgate” based on her not appearing on the network for a long time. (And I doubt she’s serving time for this unfortunate, but I’m sure unintended, slip of the tongue on the air last fall.)

She did break the Twitter ice last Sunday, playing a game of “Where am I?” with her followers. So she was in St. Louis taking in a Cardinals game. So it would appear that she’s not in harm’s way.

The other good news is, she still lists NFL Network as her employer on Twitter, so it’s a sure bet that she’ll return to the network – the question, of course, is when?

Understand that this is not a slight on the other “Total Access” crew members, especially her de facto substitute, Lindsay Rhodes, who is quite talented. In fact, during this period, she’s been pulling double duty co-anchoring “Total Access” on some nights, while hosting the annual “Top 100 Players” series.

Look, people are free to take vacations. In fact, Andrew Siciliano was out last week, with his RedZone Channel colleague, the honorable Scott Hanson, subbing for him. Andrew’s back this week. My point is, this is an unusually long vacation for someone who has been on the network quite often.

And it’s not just me that notices Henderson’s extended absence. There are other NFLN viewers inquiring about her whereabouts on Twitter and Facebook.

For the record, I have no details about the absence, nor am I asking for any. The fact that there are folks wondering why Kara’s been off the air is basically why this post exists. With all due respect, I’m personally not losing sleep at night over it; she can visit each and every baseball stadium and return when the NFL training camps open, if that’s what’s on her agenda. As a blogger, I’m just filling a void.

It’s just strange for a person to be missing for a great deal of time, with nobody addressing it.

21 Comments

1. Roger M. says:

Good article, it talks exactly about how most of us feel. “where did she go???” I, like you, aren’t loosing sleep about it, but does kind of ruffle the feathers of a regular viewer. I don’t watch that much TV as a rule, but when its on, NFL Network is one of the primary channels. When someone drops off the set, so to speak, and everyone on set keeps working without even saying or acting like they noticed is odd as heck.

This happened what last year maybe? two years I forget. Adam Sheffter was the primary breaking news guy, then POOF he drops off the set no where to be found and then LaCanforia is plugged in, with no word or anything. Everyone acting like he had always been there. Sheffter all of a sudden shows up on ESPN, no explanation.

I know get a life, things change, people change, accept move on. Corporations do things they dont want to talk about.. yada yada.

Just curious, Kara what ya doing!!!

2. Russ says:

This is the classic ” the viewers won’t notice if we don’t say anything ” . It’s the Admin of the NFL Network . Kara Henderson did a good job but I guess they thought we wouldn’t notice if another female took her position . I’m sue the NFL Network is like most businesses with the inhouse politics and cat fights.

3. JTW says:

All I can say is that I miss Kara. Yes, Ms. Rhodes is pleasant, and competent, but …. I prefer Kara.

4. Balzer says:

There is nothing not to like about Lindsay, but Kara was/is the best. Terrific voice, great at managing the tremendous egos on that show. That she is able to do so without being flirty and drawing attention to herself is better for the format, imo.

5. Boris says:

I hope she never comes back. She seemed smirky and smart assish and her nasal voice was unbearable.

6. Ahmado says:

Regular NFL network watcher. Definitely want to know where she is. Lindsey soto opps Rhodes is doing good job filling for her. Personally she was better. I hope it doesn’t become like missing D B cooper story

7. Dave Tenca says:

Aside from being “Butt Ugly” I’m glad she’s gone. To me she was a 43 year old trying to look 25.Check out her veins in her legs and her fake smile. I really like NFL Network but when she was on I changed the station. Check out her oily hair,look’s like she washes it with motor oil. All the other women there are nice and “Natural” looking. Please don’t bring her back,she’s a big overated phony.

8. scituguy says:

Seeing she is a mom and this is the offseason why can’t she be on leave or have it in her contract to be gone during much of the offseason? The NFL Network has increased it’s programming the last couple yrs but 2 yrs ago it was all repeat crap anyhown. I think she’ll be back in a couple weeks but you never know. One thing I can confirm is that she’s not 43, she’s 39 and I don’t think has ever tried to act 25. She’s been around the sports media block for a while and I doubt would have a hard time finding work. I also think that anyone who thinks she’s “Butt Ugly” probably doesn’t like women anyhow because she might not be a 25 yr old kid but she’s certainly very attractive for an almost 40 yr old!

9. Livins says:

I noticed she was missing for some time. I think it’s a natural transition to a more competent Rhodes. I found Kara annoying and quite pedestrian. I hope NFLN simply quietly removed Kara and won’t bring her back.

10. GoPFM says:

I didn’t like Kara at first, but as time passed she grew on me. She’s much better than Lindsay Rhodes, who was much better when she was Lindsay Soto.

If you guys want to take issue with hair, why don’t you take aim at Michelle Beisner? Every time I see her I see her dark roots. Doesn’t NFL Network keep an eye on these things? Don’t you think it should?

• Mitch says:

I agree man. That Bridgestone commercial she does amazes me. Do they not keep a stylist or make up artist on set. Her eyes are sunken in and her skin looks yellow. You know when she sees that commercial run she throws up in her mouth.

11. Big Mac says:

Some people are vain idiots who put too much emphasis on appearance. Kara Henderson looks fantastic for her age, but more than that, she knows the game and seems comfortable interviewing just about any player.
    I’d rather watch Kara, who knows the NFL, than some over-hairsprayed diva who only works off a teleprompter.

I hope she returns soon – she’s an asset to the network and to the NFL as a reporter/ show host.

12. Teagy says:

I think Kara does a great job. You people all sound kind of “catty”. I watch the show and her for her knowldege so what if she is 39 or 43 or 62, she knows her stuff.

13. Jason says:

Just saw on her twitter page, she no longer lists the NFL Network as her employer, and that’s she engaged to St. Louis GM Les Snead. :(

And she’s 38 not 44. (Snead is 37).

14. Richard says:

Kara was excellent at her job, great voice,attractive,put the attention on the NFL, not herself, if the NFL is not going use her on NFL am than they should consider her for sideline interviews, good luck to Kara going forward, thank you for a job well done, something the NFL forgot to due.

15. Richard says:

My comment is correct.

16. Richard says:

Kara would make an excellent play by play announcer with that voice, this is an opportunity for the NFL to finally put a women in the play by play booth, Kara certainly has the experience and the knowledge, let’s hear from the NFL on this question?

17. Richard says:

My comment is correct, thank you. It would be niece to here from Kara on my comment.

18. Greg V says:

Where is she, I think she is a very talent reporter, she needs to be back on at the Total Acces,

19. James K says:

I thought Kara was doing a find job and I noticed she wasn’t on the NFL network anymore. Was she released or did she quit?