In the coming weeks baseballs brightest stars will descend upon Petco Park in San Diego for this year’s All-Star Week.
So, here’s an update of the top All-Star Game vote leaders and possible Home Run Derby candidates.
(All voting information is accurate per MLB.com as of June,27th,2016.)
American League All-Star Ballot Leaders by Position:
- Salvador Perez (KC): 3,754,594
- Matt Wieters (BAL): 1,033,217
- Russell Martin (TOR) 981,618
- Brian McCann (NYY) 578,013
- Robinson Chirinos (TEX) 511,308
- Eric Hosmer (KC): 2,638,022
- Miguel Cabrera (DET): 2,088,920
- Chris Davis (BAL): 952,053
- Justin Smoak (TOR): 772,948
- Hanley Ramirez (BOS): 769,385
- Jose Altuve (HOU): 2,186,949
- Robinson Cano (SEA): 1,276,010
- Dustin Pedroia (BOS): 1,081,667
- Omar Infante (KC): 949,308
- Ryan Goins (TOR): 757,923
- Manny Machado (BAL): 2,196,732
- Josh Donaldson (TOR): 1,590,183
- Mike Moustakas (KC): 1,135,431
- Adrian Beltre (TEX): 1,099,086
- Nick Castellanos (DET): 789,144
- Xander Bogaerts (BOS): 2,825,025
- Alcides Escobar (KC): 1,478.645
- Troy Tulowitzki (TOR): 1,136,479
- Elvis Andrus (TEX): 917,112
- Carlos Correa (HOU): 694,103
- Mike Trout (LAA): 2,972,582
- Jackie Bradley Jr. (BOS): 2,184,884
- Mookie Betts (BOS): 1,915,637
- Lorenzo Cain (KC): 1,821,746
- Mark Trumbo (BAL): 1,801,969
- Jose Bautista (TOR): 1,707,134
- Alex Gordon (KC): 1,165,980
- Ian Desmond (TEX): 1,133,422
- Paulo Orlando (KC): 1,065,647
- Carlos Beltran (NYY): 964,473
- Kevin Pillar (TOR): 934,982
- Michael Saunders (TOR): 903,050
- Adam Jones (BAL): 726,916
- Melky Cabrera (CWS): 518,476
- J.D. Martinez (DET): 497,102
- David Ortiz (BOS): 3,400,200
- Edwin Encarnacion (TOR): 1,131,827
- Kendrys Morales (KC): 1,102,349
- Victor Martinez (DET): 865,194
- Nelson Cruz (SEA): 799,967
As you can see above, certain AL starting positons like catcher (Perez), second base (Altuve), and designated hitter (Ortiz) appear to be locked in.
But, first base and the last outfield spot could see tight finishes when the final votes are tallied this Thursday.
Betts currently has a slight edge over both Cain and Trumbo, meanwhile Cabrera could see his current six game All-Star selection streak (tied for the majors longest active streak with Bautista) come to end should Hosmer hold his lead.
(Starting pitching, bullpen, and backups will be chosen by AL All-Star manager Ned Yost of the Kansas City Royals)
National League All-Star Ballot Leaders by Position:
- Yadier Molina (STL): 1,568,930
- Buster Posey (SF): 1,563,800
- Wilson Ramos (WSH): 1,282,287
- Miguel Montero (CHC): 854,629
- Jonathan Lucroy (MIL): 846,380
- Anthony Rizzo (CHC): 2,630,049
- Brandon Belt (SF): 1,233,499
- Paul Goldschmidt (ARI): 977,889
- Adrian Gonzalez (LAD): 734,448
- Brandon Moss (STL): 522,808
- Ben Zobrist (CHC): 2,474,852
- Daniel Murphy (WSH): 2,167,918
- Joe Panik (SF): 768,312
- Neil Walker (NYM): 500,384
- Chase Utley (LAD): 488,170
- Kris Bryant (CHC): 2,459,852
- Nolan Arenado (COL): 2,108,503
- Matt Carpenter (STL): 882,135
- Matt Duffy (SF): 665,802
- Martin Prado (MIA): 396,859
- Addison Russell (CHC): 1,741,182
- Trevor Story (COL): 1,423,547
- Corey Seager (LAD): 1,082,434
- Brandon Crawford (SF): 1,002,201
- Zack Cozart (CIN): 528,785
- 1. Dexter Fowler (CHC): 2,230,877
- Bryce Harper (WSH): 2,253,083
- Yoenis Cespedes (NYM): 2,249,489
- Jason Heyward (CHC): 1,485,679
- Ryan Braun (MIL): 1,327,209
- Carlos Gonzalez (COL): 1,155,982
- Jorge Soler (CHC): 992,174
- Starling Marte (PIT): 893,952
- Andrew McCutchen (PIT): 816,079
- Stephen Piscotty (STL): 793,912
- Hunter Pence (SF): 764,004
- Matt Holiday (STL): 680,416
- Charlie Blackmon (COL): 644,191
- Marcell Ozuna (MIA): 578,015
- Angel Pagan (SF): 561,677
(Starting pitching, bullpen, and backups will be chosen by NL All-Star manager Terry Collins of the New York Mets)
You might have noticed a slew of Cubs players are currently projected to be All-Star starters this year.
Granted at a few of those positions the vote separation margin is thin. As it stands today, though, fans could see Chicago accounting for more than half of NL-All-Stars starters (which would include the ENTIRE infield).
Fans will also want to keep an eye on who is chosen at catcher, as it’s neck and neck between Molina and Posey.
Meanwhile, those aforementioned Cubbies infielders, Rizzo aside, could all be replaced (see Murphy, Arenado, Story/Seager) by the time it’s all said and done.
Home Run Derby Contestants (based on current HR leaders in the majors)
The derby has no doubt seen its share of rules and total contestant numbers change since 2013. Nevertheless, the 2016 Home Run Derby should feature eight players competing in a bracketed format with the NL and AL winner squaring off for the championship crown.
Rounds are likely to be timed rather than allotting players “x” number of outs as in years past. For a further history on the derby, and to see past winners, you can check out this link.
Below is a list of likely candidates for this year’s contest:
Mark Trumbo (BAL)-22HR**
Nolan Arendado (COL)-21HR**
Kris Bryant (CHC)-21HR**
Edwin Encarnacion (TOR)-21HR**
Adam Duvall (CIN)-21HR**
Todd Frazier (CWS)-21HR**
Robinson Cano (SEA)-19-HR**
Carlos Beltran (NYY)-19-HR
Nelson Cruz (SEA)-19HR
Trevor Story (COL)-19HR**
Chris Carter (MIL)-19HR
David Ortiz (BOS)-18HR**
Manny Machado (BAL)-18HR
Yoenis Cespedes (NYM)-18HR
Anthony Rizzo (CHC)-18HR**
Evan Longoria (TB)-18HR
Khris Davis (OAK)-18HR
Chris Davis (BAL)-18HR
Carlos Gonzalez (COL)-17HR
Mike Trout (LAA)-17HR
Josh Donaldson (TOR)-17HR
(** indicates a player I believe will likely be selected as a HR Derby participant)
In the event you missed it above at any point, All-Star voting will conclude at midnight this Thursday June 30th. Fans can vote at MLB.com or anyone of the 30 MLB team websites and can do so up to 35 times.
This year’s All-Star game could be one of the more memorable ones, it’s Ortiz’s 10th and final outing, Story or Seager might be making a first time appearance, and getting to see Clayton Kershaw and Chris Sale pitch on the same night is about as good as it gets.
Also, and this is an understatement, the Home Run Derby (July 11th) will be nothing short of a fireworks show, but with baseballs instead of roman candles.
The All-Star game will be played on July 12 at 8:00pm (EST).
Looking to relocate to South Florida? Popular regions such as Broward County can prove to be a difficult real estate market. That is why we suggest that when you are looking for Forrest Ridge homes for sale you go to the very best in realty. Popular regions such as Victoria Park homes for sale can prove to be a very competitive market. That is why you need a realtor who delivers results.