It was separation weekend as some teams rose to the occasion, while others didn’t. Here are my winners and losers:
- Miami Hurricanes: Running back DeeJay Dallas rushed for two touchdowns. The turnover chain was going around as the defense forced four including a pick six by defensive back Trajan Brady. They also had five sacks as the Hurricanes routed the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 41-8. What a performance for the Canes.
- Oklahoma Sooners: Quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 333 yards and three touchdowns. Running back Rodney Anderson rushed for 151 yards and two touchdowns. The defense was able to slow down the TCU Horned Frogs, defeating them 38-20. A solid showing by the Sooners, and you’ve got to think Mayfield is your Heisman leader.
- Auburn Tigers: Quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw for three touchdowns. He also rushed for a touchdown. Running back Kerryon Johnson rushed for 167 yards and had a touchdown catch. The Tigers took advantage of opportunities as they pummeled the Georgia Bulldogs 40-17. Despite two losses, the Tigers still have a shot at a playoff spot.
- Ohio State Buckeyes: Quarterback J.T. Barrett threw for two touchdowns. He also rushed for two touchdowns. Running back Mike Weber rushed for 162 yards and two touchdowns. Running back J.K. Dobbins rushed for 124 yards. The defense had six sacks and two interceptions as they dominated the Michigan State Spartans 48-3.
- Wisconsin Badgers: Despite quarterback Alex Hornibrook throwing two pick sixes, he and the Badgers did just enough to pull away from the Iowa Hawkeyes 38-14. The Badgers remain undefeated.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys: The Cowboys held off the Iowa State Cyclones 49-42 in an offensive shootout to keep their Big 12 title game hopes alive.
- Stanford RB Bryce Love: Love rushed for 166 yards and three touchdowns as the Cardinal upset the Washington Huskies 30-22.
- Army Black Knights: The Knights staved off the Duke Blue Devils 21-16. They’re 8-2, they finished undefeated at home for the first time since 1996.
- Georgia Bulldogs: Miscues and being only 3 for 14 on third downs doomed the Dogs in their loss to Auburn. Georgia isn’t out of the playoff hunt but no doubt they were humbled.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish: The offense couldn’t go through Miami’s stingy and smothering defense.
- Washington Huskies: A failed fourth down conversion in the red zone came back and bit the Huskies in their loss to Stanford, thus ending the Huskies and the Pac 12 playoff hopes.
- Mississippi State Bulldogs: They couldn’t put away Alabama as the Crimson Tide scored 14 unanswered points, losing 31-24.
- TCU Horned Frogs: The Frogs didn’t overcome a slow start in their loss to Oklahoma, they still have a chance at a spot in the Big 12 title game, but they may have to do it without their leading rusher Darius Anderson who suffered a foot injury in the loss.
- Virginia Tech Hokies: The Hokies couldn’t tame Georgia Tech quarterback TaQuon Marshall as he had four total touchdowns as he led the Yellow Jackets past the Hokies 28-22.
- Nebraska Cornhuskers: The defense gave up 409 (yes, you read that right) rushing yards in their loss to the Minnesota Golden Gophers 54-21.
- Tennessee Volunteers: The Vols gave up 659 total yards, (again yes you read that right) in their loss to the Missouri Tigers 50-17. Head coach Butch Jones has been shown the door.
Storylines Going Into Week 12:
Some MACtion for you once again as Ohio meets Akron. TCU plays Texas Tech. Wisconsin hosts Michigan. Minnesota battles Northwestern. Arizona goes to Oregon. Miami might be on upset alert as they host Virginia.
Georgia will try to rebound when they host Kentucky. Navy meets Notre Dame. UCLA plays USC in their annual “City of Angles” battle.