Week saw some standout wins and performances, here are my winners and losers:
- Clemson Tigers: Quarterback Kelly Bryant had a touchdown pass. Linebacker Dorian O’Daniel had another pick six as the Tigers tamed the Virginia Tech Hokies 31-17.
- Washington State Cougars: Erik Powell’s 32-yard go-ahead field goal with 1:40 left and a late fumble helped the Cougars seal their win over the USC Trojans 30-27. Safe to say, they’re still partying in Pullman.
- Miami Hurricanes: Quarterback Malik Rosier threw for 270 yards and two touchdowns. The defense was key as they dominated the Duke Blue Devils 31-6. Canes get a key win in the ACC Coastal division.
- Auburn Tigers: Quarterback Jarrett Stidham threw for 264 yards and two touchdowns. Running back Kerryon Johnson rushed for 116 yards and three touchdowns. Defensive back Javaris Davis had a pick six as the Tigers pounded the Mississippi State Bulldogs 49-10.
- Maryland Terrapins: Down to their third-string quarterback, Max Bortenschlager threw two touchdowns. Running back Ty Johnson rushed for 130 yards and a touchdown. The defense caught two interceptions as the Terps defeated the Minnesota Golden Gophers 31-24, the Terps were a heavy underdog.
- Troy Trojans: Running back Jordan Chunn rushed for 191 yards and a touchdown. The defense forced four turnovers as the Trojans, out of the Sun Belt Conference, upset the LSU Tigers 24-21. They’re the first non-SEC team to win at Death Valley since 2000 and they got a $985,000 check to boot.
- Utah State Aggies: Quarterback Kent Meyers threw for two touchdowns and rushed for a touchdown. Cornerback Jalen Davis caught three interceptions including two for touchdowns as the Aggies blew the BYU Cougars 40-24.
- UCF Knights: Quarterback McKenzie Milton threw for 253 yards and three touchdowns. Running back Adrian Killins Jr. rushed for 115 yards and a touchdown. The defense had four turnovers including three interceptions as the Knights pounded the Memphis Tigers 40-13. The Knights keep their hopes of a New Year’s Six bowl berth alive.
- Virginia Tech Hokies: Despite having more total yards, turnovers and being 4 for 15 on third downs stalled drives in their loss to Clemson.
- USC Trojans: Injuries and ill-timed mistakes cost the Trojans in their loss to Washington State.
- Tennessee Volunteers: Turnovers, being 1 for 12 on third downs and having only 142 total yards doomed the Vols as they were mauled by the Georgia Bulldogs 41-0. Head coach Butch Jones’ seat is on fire.
- Mississippi State Bulldogs: Despite having the advantage in time of possession, turnovers and being 7 for 21 on third downs were the Bulldogs’ undoing in their loss to Auburn.
- LSU Tigers: The vulnerable Tigers couldn’t overcome a slow start as they were upset by Troy, a rare loss in Death Valley, especially to a non-conference opponent.
- Memphis Tigers: Turnovers and the defense giving up 603 total yards doomed the Tigers in their loss to UCF, thus ending the Tigers’ New Year Six bowl hopes.
Storylines Going into Week Six:
NC State hosts Louisville. Duke goes to Virginia. West Virginia battles TCU. Miami meets Florida State. Norte Dame plays North Carolina. Can LSU rebound at Florida?
Alabama travels to College Station to face Texas A&M. Wisconsin flies to Lincoln to play Nebraska. Oregon hosts Washington State. Stanford meets Utah. Cal battles Washington.