With just a couple of weeks left in the regular season, teams are feeling the sense of urgency, some rose up to the occasion, while others didn’t. Here are my winners and losers:
- Tennessee Titans: They overcame turnovers and a failed two-point conversion with just a little over 3 minutes left. Kicker Ryan Succop’s 54-yard field goal as time expired helped the Titans upset the Kansas City Chiefs 19-17, keeping pace in the AFC South.
- New York Giants: Quarterback Eli Manning threw for two touchdowns that helped the Giants defeat the Detroit Lions 17-6.
- Indianapolis Colts: In another surprise, quarterback Andrew Luck’s two touchdown passes and running back Robert Turbin’s two rushing touchdowns helped the Colts dominate the Minnesota Vikings 34-6, don’t think anyone saw that coming.
- Oakland Raiders: Kicker Sebastian Janikowski’s four field goals including two crucial ones in the fourth quarter helped the Raiders defeat the San Diego Chargers 19-16 in a thriller. The Raiders clinch their first playoff berth in 14 years, party on Raider Nation.
- Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks defeated the Los Angeles Rams 24-3, clinching the NFC West.
- Kansas City Chiefs: They were 4 for 14 on third downs, only rushed for 28 yards and an ill-advised timeout by head coach Andy Reid cost the Chiefs in their loss to Tennessee.
- Minnesota Vikings: Having only 34 rushing yards and turnovers stalled drives in their loss to Indianapolis.
- Detroit Lions: Red-zone turnovers were costly for the Lions in their loss to the Giants. They’re hanging on in the NFC North by a thread.
- Philadelphia Eagles: Incompletions and being only 8 for 18 on third downs were the Eagles’ undoing in their loss to the Baltimore Ravens 27-26.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags weren’t able to hold onto a 20-8 lead, ultimately losing to the Houston Texans 21-20. Jags fall to a disappointing 2-12 in a season that had promise, and they have since fired head coach Gus Bradley.
- Washington Redskins: Turnovers, being only 2 for 12 on third downs and having only 29 rushing yards doomed the Redskins in their loss to the Carolina Panthers 26-15. With the loss, Washington’s playoff hopes take a tumble.
Storylines for Week 16:
Remember 12 games will be played on Saturday, which is Christmas Eve.
There are multiple games with playoff implication, New York Giants play Philadelphia. In the AFC North, Miami faces Buffalo. Green Bay hosts Minnesota. Indy travels to Oakland. Tampa Bay goes toe-to-toe with NFC South foe New Orleans. Cincy battles Houston. Kansas City hosts Denver. Detroit goes to Dallas. While Baltimore faces Pittsburgh for the AFC North.
Season’s greetings everyone!!!