I really dig the work 2K has done with the NBA2K series and it seems to make some nice progressions each and every year it is released. It’s about that time of the year where we start hearing rumblings of new features to be included in the new game, screen shots and even maybe a trailer.
But as we approach all of those landmarks, I wanted to take some time to make a short list of things I would personally like to see with the NBA2K14 release.
What drives me absolutely nuts is the ridiculousness of passing in the NBA2K games. It’s a problem that has carried over annually with each release.
I will never understand how the passing feature hasn’t evolved considering how big of a part of the game of basketball passing is. But here are a few things that drive me absolutely bonkers with the passing
- How my player, a point guard, can call a play for a specific teammate (example: Player A cut to hoop), have that player cut to the hoop, execute a pass command, but the pass goes to another player that often times is in a crowd of defenders resulting in a turnover.
- The unbalanced A.I in passing is frustrating. If the computer passes to a guarded player, my defender barely reacts letting an easy score whizz right by him. On the flip side, If i pass to a streaking center on the fast break, the defending center (computer) consistently breaks the play up for a steal.
- A ball is loose on the court, computer players make acrobatic plays to chase the ball down, dive out of bounds, jump into the crowd, etc. My team stands around doing nothing, nothing at all.
- If my PG with a 95 pass can’t execute a simply crisp pass to an open teammate, no Center or Power Forward not named Lebron James should easily be chucking full-court passes with Peyton Manning-like precision
- During aforementioned acrobatic loose ball saves the computer executes perfect circus passes to a teammate, regardless if he is looking at him or not. My players?….no chance in hell
Several Years ago 2K had an awesome multi-player option. In fact it was one of my favorite parts of the game. My friend and i would create our own players and put them on the same team for an 82-game season. Then during the Association mode, we would be able to connect online and continue to play with our team.
Then one day, poof, 2K took the feature out.
Now that they have really kicked up My Career and My Player it should be a no-brainer to re-introduce this multi-player feature again. Imagine exporting your My Player to play against or with a friend’s very own My Player? Better yet, imagine constructing a league of My Players with a bunch of your friends and battling it out?
What is really fun about Madden is being able to choose to be a player or coach/GM. This would work wonders in NBA2K14. Controlling contract negotiations, free agent negotiations, getting into bidding wars and having to really manage a team would be a natural fit for NBA2K14
Regardless if NBA2K works on any of the above i will be purchasing the game. It really is one of the most entertaining sports games to play. Fast paced, good graphics and always seems to add a little something to the game each and every year