Connect with us

Dallas Mavericks

Dallas Mavericks Reach New 2-Year Deal With Dirk Nowitzki

Published

on

The Dallas Mavericks have reached an agreement on a new 2-year contract with Dirk Nowitzki one that will allow him to earn $40 million over the next two seasons and play until the age of 40. Nowitzki has spent his entire 18-year career with the franchise and with this new deal it is likely he will finish his career in Dallas.

The signing of Nowitzki is a small victory for the Mavs who have had a rough go at free agency this summer. Dallas whiffed on luring Hassan Whiteside from the Miami Heat and Mike Conley away from the Memphis Grizzlies but the signings of Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut away from Golden State, couples with the re-signing of Nowitzki, has helped turn around Dallas’ fortunes.

The second year of Nowitzki’s new deal is likely to be a player option which is in line with what Nowitzki has said is his desire. Although he has said numerous times that he would like to play two more seasons, Nowitzki also made it clear he wants to re-evaluate things at the end of the 2016-17 season. The player option allows him to decide if he wants to keep playing or not at that very point in time.

The Mavericks have always treated Nowitzki well and things have not changed as the former MVP, Finals MVP and NBA Champion gets closer to the end of his career.

“Dirk gets to do what Dirk wants,” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said in June. “Period. End of story.

“I told him the other day: If Dirk wants to be the head coach, we’ll move Rick [Carlisle] over a little bit. Dirk’s done so much for this franchise, he’s earned that opportunity.”

Nowitzki’s previous contract was a three-year, $25 million deal and considered to be a great hometown deal for the franchise.

If Nowitzki does end up playing two more seasons in Dallas and then calling it career, he would join Kobe Bryant as the only players in NBA history to spend their entire two-decade career with only one franchise.

 

Anthony DiMoro is the creator of Sports Rants and the CEO of Elite Rank Media and DiMoro Enterprises LLC. He is a former Contributor for Forbes and the Huffington Post where he covered sports, social media, and SEO. Anthony hosts the Anthony DiMoro Show podcast, and formerly hosted the 'Forbes SportsMoney Podcast'.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Dallas Mavericks

Mavs’ Kristaps Porzingis Accused of Rape in New York

Published

on

Dallas Mavericks big man and former New York Knick Kristaps Porzingis is being investigated back New York for an alleged rape that a woman told police took place sometime last year, according to the New York Post.

The woman, who informed police about the alleged rape on Thursday, says that she waited more than a year to come forward regarding the incident because she had discussed receiving $68,000 from Porzingis to keep quiet.

Roland G. Riopelle, the attorney for Porzingis, has since denied the allegations and has said they had previously referred the case to federal authorities due to the “accuser’s extortionate demands.”

“We are aware of the complaint that was made against Mr. Porzingis on Friday and unequivocally deny the allegations,” Riopelle said. “We made a formal referral to federal law enforcement on Dec. 20, 2018, based on the accuser’s extortionate demands. We also alerted the National Basketball Association months ago, and they are aware of the ongoing investigation of the accuser by federal law enforcement. We cannot comment further on an ongoing federal investigation. Please refer any questions to the Federal Bureau of Investigation or the National Basketball Association.”

The woman alleges that the incident took place on February 7th, 2018, at the Sky building in New York, where Porzingis lived, just hours following Porzingis suffering a torn ACL, the injury that has kept him off the court for more than a year.

An NBA spokesman said the league is aware of the situation while the Knicks’ team spokesperson said; “This is Kristaps’ personal matter and not related to the Knicks.” Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stated that the team is aware of the situation but “we have been instructed by federal authorities not to comment.”

According to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, the Knicks had informed the Mavericks of the pending Porzingis rape allegations during a trade call with NBA headquarters, that took place on January 31st,  that finalized the deal that sent Porzingis to the Mavericks.

A spokesman for the New York Police Department issued the following: “The NYPD takes sexual assault and all rape cases extremely seriously, and urges anyone who has been a victim to file a report so we can perform a comprehensive investigation, and offer support and services to survivors.”

Continue Reading

Dallas Mavericks

What should Adam Silver do to Mark Cuban and the Mavericks?

Published

on

It has been over six months since Sports Illustrated released their bombshell report detailing how sexual harassment was rife within the Dallas Mavericks office culture, and nearly one month since the NBA released a 43-page report by an outside investigator which showed the rot within the Dallas organization. ESPN reported that Mark Cuban agreed to contribute $10 million to women’s charities, but commissioner Adam Silver said that he would not suspend Cuban as he was not directly implicated in the conduct.

But less than a month later, it appears that the report and efforts to change Dallas’s culture may be a farce. The Dallas Morning News revealed last week that “team photographer Danny Bollinger has a history of propositioning female co-workers and making lewd comments in the workplace for more than a decade.” Bollinger took inappropriate photos of both Mavericks dancers and courtside fans, and women told each other never to be alone with him.

The Mavericks have promptly fired Bollinger since the recent report came out, and a culture of more than 20 years’ of rampant sexual harassment cannot be fixed overnight. But in certain ways, the Bollinger news and the questions it reveals shows that the NBA and Silver must do more than an investigation and a relatively small fine.

The Bollinger-Cuban relation

There are two important questions which reporters and fans should want the answer in light of the Bollinger news. The first concerns Mark Cuban. The second concerns the recently released report.

As noted above, Cuban managed to escape a more significant punishment by arguing that he focused on the basketball aspects of the Mavericks organization while others like the then-CEO and head of HR enabled a toxic work culture where everyone is on Alpha Wolf Nutrition. He did acknowledge that as the owner of the Mavericks, the buck stopped with him and accepted a degree of punishment. But the fundamental point is that Cuban claims he had no real idea what was going on.

Is that still true for Bollinger? As the Mavericks teams photographer for 18 years, Bollinger was intimately involved with the basketball side of the Mavericks operation and was close personal friends with Cuban. Sports Illustrated noted in 2002 that Cuban was introduced to his future wife by Bollinger. It is perfectly possible that Bollinger kept his antics carefully hidden from Cuban as we have seen other sexual harassers do, but the Dallas Morning News hardly portrays him as someone who spent a great deal of effort to keep his antics secret. Was Cuban really unaware?

Furthermore, the released report does not discuss Bollinger at all even though he had been doing these things for more than a decade, which came as a great surprise to the women who had reported these things. In fact, the report only featured employees whose names had been previously published. Adam Silver claims that Bollinger was not publicly named as the accusations were named anonymously. But let us be serious. For all intents and purposes, this report makes it look like the Mavericks and the NBA issued the report, fostered the blame on those already accused, and tried to pretend that the rest of the Mavericks organization was okay. But it looks like the entire barrel was rotten instead of just a few apples.

So what is to be done? In the first major controversy of Adam Silver’s reign, he forced Donald Sterling to sell his team for making highly inappropriate remarks, which was no doubt further exacerbated by Sterling’s long, racist history. Cuban so far has been able to avoid direct responsibility in ways that Sterling did not. But the Bollinger news makes it appear more likely that Cuban in fact knew and did nothing, though we have no way to know for certain as of this time. If it does turn to be the case, will Silver have the courage to stand for what is right against a much more popular owner than Sterling?

Continue Reading

Dallas Mavericks

Mavs’ CEO Cynthia Marshall Discusses Future for Cheerleaders

Published

on

Dallas Mavericks new CEO Cynthia Marshall is addressing a new shift in the company culture in regards the the team’s cheerleaders after a scandal rocked the organization.

Accusations of negligence and harassment involving its former CEO, Terdema Ussery, did considerable damage to the Mavericks organization and Marshall is implementing steps to rebuild their identity.

“We want the focus to be on the dancers as artists and to highlight their skills, not be eye candy or sexualized,” Marshall said, according to Dallas News’ Sharon Grigsby.

“Everyone should feel comfortable — both the performers and everyone in the arena,” Marshall said. “If someone brings a 10-year-old to the game, I don’t want them having to cover the kid’s eyes during performances.”

“We love our dancers,” Marshall added. “But we are re-evaluating every aspect of this organization to make sure they are living up to the values we are instilling in the entire Mavericks operation.”

Continue Reading

Trending