Connect with us

Boston Red Sox

David Price Continues To Beef With Red Sox Media, Confronts Dennis Eckersley

Published

on

It hasn’t been pretty through seven starts this season for Red Sox starting pitcher David Price.

That’s not to say his performance has been too bad, as he’s 3-2 with a 4.61 ERA (only one real bad start). Three of his past four outings have been quality starts. He’s allowed less hits than innings pitched, and opponents are hitting just .234 against him.

However, when it comes to confrontation—Price hasn’t let up in the five weeks he’s been back in Boston’s rotation since returning from an elbow injury he suffered in Spring Training.

Price’s latest spat occurred Thursday night on the team’s flight to Toronto. Keep in mind the Red Sox had just taken three of four from the Minnesota Twins at home. Price won the final game striking out seven in seven innings without issuing a walk as the Red Sox won 6-3.

What could possibly go wrong?

First reported by The Boston Globe, Price verbally confronted MLB Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley on the flight following Boston’s series win. Eckersley works as an analyst and color commentator for Red Sox telecasts on NESN.

Prior to Friday night’s game, Price met with Red Sox manager John Farrell and general manager Dave Dombrowski to discuss the incident. Farrell issued no comment on the meeting, saying “it’s being handled internally.”

There’s been some speculation that Price was upset at a criticism Eckersley made during the Thursday night telecast. At one point in the game, Price forgot to cover first base on a ground ball which resulted in a baserunner. The straight-shooting Eckersley said: “He’s just watching. Look at that. That is a major, major mistake. I’ve done it, it happens.”

Seems like a reasonable take from a Hall of Famer.

So if that’s what irked Price, you can’t help but shake your head. Eckersley was even gracious enough to throw in the “I’ve done it, it happens” remark. See, no one’s perfect! But for Price to still be angry enough to make confrontation unavoidable? Come on man!

You simply don’t go after Eckersley—”The Eck”—in Boston. The man is beloved in that city. He’s a former Red Sox player (’78-’84, ’98) and has been employed by NESN since 2003. Not a guy you want to pick a fight with—his Hall of Fame credentials have all but earned him the right to say whatever he wants, and the fans love him.

What he said couldn’t have been more harmless. It was a fair, honest criticism. It was pretty much the only negative thing Eckersley said about Price during the entire telecast. And if that is the reason Price was upset Thursday night, then wow—just wow.

This latest incident with Price comes just a few weeks after he snapped at CSNNE reporter Evan Drellich on June 7 at Yankee Stadium. Earlier that day, Price told Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe that he’d stop giving interviews to reporters on days he doesn’t pitch. Drellich tweeted out a portion of what Price said to Shaughnessy, as well as what MLB’s Collective Bargaining Agreement expects out of players talking to the media. That’s all.

Like Eckersley, Drellich did nothing wrong. But for whatever reason, Price wasn’t impressed.

Price isn’t doing himself any favors by continually acting like this. He’s digging himself deeper into a hole with the fans and media with his unprofessional behavior. It’s obvious he feels the pressure of pitching in Boston, and he’s completely mishandling it.

Let’s not forget about him dodging the media after struggling in his second rehab start on May 25. Guess he wasn’t ready for those tough post-game questions!

When a player signs a seven year, $217 million deal with a team, you’d expect that player would simply drown out the negative things people say about him and just move foward. Not Price though, nope. He has a history of clashing with Red Sox fans on Twitter, and now he’s beefing with media members face to face for seemingly no reason.

He’s bringing all of this on himself.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for Price to look into seeing a sports psychologist. It could really benefit him. He needs to focus more on pitching and less on what others say about him, because the Red Sox don’t need any more of his distractions.

A Massachusetts native for life, Seth was born into the love for Boston Sports. He played baseball for eight years growing up and has always been an avid fan of MLB. Other than writing, some of his hobbies include biking, landscaping, dancing, moving furniture, playing basketball, and going to the batting cages. Seth aspires one day to be a PA announcer in the NBA.

Boston Red Sox

Red Sox Take Game 2 in 2018 MLB World Series

Published

on

2018 MLB Worlds Series
2018 MLB Worlds Series

Source: Sports Logos News

Last night in the 2018 MLB World Series, it was game 2 between the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers. After 9 1/2 innings, the Boston Red Sox defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2.

it was David Price (BOS) going up against Hyun-Jin Ryu (LAD) on the pitching mound.

David Price

In six innings of the world series, David Price had an ERA of 3.00 with 3 hits and 2 runs and zero home runs.

Hyun-Jin Ryu

On the LA Dodgers side, Hyun-Jin Ryu was the pitcher for the Dodgers. He only lasted 4.2 innings with 6 hits and 4 runs but zero home runs.

Game 3 is set for Friday, October 26, 2018 at 8:06 on Fox

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

Yankees, Red Sox Negotiating London 2-Game Series

Published

on

The New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox  are closing in on an agreement to play a two-game series in London in June 2019, according to Bloomberg’s Janet Perkins and Scott Soshnick.

Reportedly the games will be held at London Stadium, which played host to several events at the 2012 Summer Olympics, if a deal is made official.

The stadium can hold up to 65,000 fans for sporting events and if a deal is made official it will continue MLB’s trend of playing regular season games in other countries such as Japan, Mexico, Australia and Puerto Rico over the years.

The Yankees and Red Sox are easily among the top MLB franchises in terms of global recognition and their storied rivalry and rosters of elite players will be an easy draw for the series as MLB looks to penetrate the European market.

It could also present quite the online betting opportunity for both US and European betting sites, especially as the series kicks off. When it does, this LVbet bonus code could come in handy, especially if it will be the first time you try your hand at something like this.

“We would love to participate in a series in London against the Yankees but this is a decision that MLB and the MLBPA will make,” Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy said.

Bloomberg reported the games would be played at London Stadium, which was the main facility for the 2012 summer Olympics. MLB has not played any games in Europe before, however, the Red Sox have played overseas in the past, including to Japan before the 2008 season.

“It’s a shorter trip than to California, right?” Yankees Manager Aaron Boone, who has never been to London, commented. “Let’s get the royal family out there. Maybe the queen can make an appearance.”

“It’s following the leader — the N.F.L.,” said Allen Adamson, a branding expert and an adjunct professor at N.Y.U. “It’s good for the Yankees, it’s good for Boston, and an attempt to inject some topspin into the sport, but I don’t think it mitigates the need to revitalize baseball in the United States.”

Adamson added: “It would be more interesting to play in Havana.”

The Yankees are in a business partnership with Manchester City F.C, so they are very familiar with the European sports landscape and the audience, and fans, that attend events across the pond.

MLB is trying to follow in the NFL’s footsteps, as both are chasing the NBA who have spearheaded the efforts to globalize their game.

 

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

The Waiting Game Continues For The Red Sox And JD Martinez

Published

on

The Boston Red Sox haven’t made any significant roster moves this offseason with Spring Training less than a month away. Sure, they’ve revamped their coaching staff and have a new manager, but as far as players go? No new names; essentially the same roster as 2017.

A good way to describe Boston’s offseason would be the sound of crickets chirping.

However, things could change at any moment for the Red Sox and president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. He’s waited this long; he can wait a little longer. Everyone knows that there’s only one man Dombrowski’s after; and that is- of course- free agent slugger JD Martinez.

According to ESPN’s Buster Olney this afternoon, the Red Sox have offered Martinez a deal “in the range” of five years at $100 million.

At the start of the offseason, Martinez’s asking price was reportedly in the range of $200 million; Boston’s offer is half of that.

Boston needs a power bat in their lineup, and Martinez fills that void. The Red Sox finished fourth-to-last in the majors and last in the American League with 168 homers in 2017, a year that saw MLB set a new record with 6,105 dingers; it was also the first time since 1993 that the Red Sox finished last in the AL in homers. A total power outage!

Long story short, Dombrowski needs to acquire Martinez. Considering he’s yet to make a move to respond to the New York Yankees landing Giancarlo Stanton, the pressure is starting to build up for Dombrowski to show Martinez the money.

Image result for show me the money

Martinez, 30, recently said he’s willing to wait until Spring Training to sign a deal with a new club.

The 6’3” Martinez bashed 45 homers in just 432 at-bats in 2017- one every less than 10 at-bats to go along with 104 RBIs. Not even a full season! His slash line was .303/.376/.690 split between the Detroit Tigers and Arizona Diamondbacks. Had Martinez finished with enough plate appearances to qualify, he all but certainly would’ve finished first in MLB in slugging percentage and OPS.

Those type of numbers in a contract year? Nothing but basic economics; that’s how you get PAID!

If Dombrowski doesn’t land Martinez- and assuming no blockbuster trade will be made before the season starts- it will be a wasted offseason for the Red Sox. They’ll have the same mediocre lineup which isn’t good enough to win in October. There will be no Stanton, no Carlos Santana, or no Eric Hosmer for that matter. Those three weren’t good enough for Dombrowski this offseason, and so Martinez is what’s left- not counting other current free agents like Lorenzo Cain, Mike Moustakas, and Todd Frazier- none of whom are on Dombrowski’s radar.

The time is now for Dombrowski to make a move. And by move, I mean sign Martinez. He’s in the prime of his career, made for Fenway Park, and made to give a lackluster Red Sox offense a spark that it so badly needs.

Tick-tock, Dave!

Continue Reading

Trending