You’d thought that maybe week six would be somewhat mundane for the most part. Well, it wasn’t, we saw quite a few surprises, here are my winners and losers:
- Michigan State Spartans: Quarterback Brian Lewerke threw for a touchdown and rushed for a touchdown. Safety David Dowell caught two of the three interceptions as the Spartans upset the Michigan Wolverines 14-10. That’s despite having only one first down in the second half.
- Iowa State Cyclones: Quarterback Kyle Kempt threw for 343 yards and three touchdowns. Key defensive stops late helped the Cyclones stunned the Oklahoma Sooners 38-31. It’s the Cyclones first win against Oklahoma since 1990 and just their second since 1961.
- Miami Hurricanes: Quarterback Malik Rosier’s 23-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Darnell Langham with just six seconds left helped the Canes defeat the Florida State Seminoles 24-20. It’s the Canes first win over the Noles in seven years, safe to say they’re partying in South Florida.
- NC State Wolfpack: Quarterback Ryan Finley threw for 357 yards and a touchdown. Running back Nyheim Hines rushed for 102 yards and two touchdowns. Linebacker Germaine Pratt had a pick six as the Wolfpack pulled away from the Louisville Cardinals 39-25.
- TCU Horned Frogs: Quarterback Kenny Hill’s go-ahead rushing touchdown with 2:53 left helped the Horned Frogs hold off the West Virginia Mountaineers 31-24.
- LSU Tigers: The Tigers overcame a trying week as they held off the Florida Gators 17-16, a win they desperately needed.
- Stanford Cardinal: Running back Bryce Love rushed for 153 yards and a touchdown helped the Cardinal fend off the Utah Utes 23-20. Love already has over 1,200 yards on 118 carries, if he’s not on your Heisman list, he should be.
- Michigan Wolverines: Despite the defense holding Michigan State to just one first down in the second half, the offense didn’t hold their end as quarterback John O’Korn’s three interceptions, dropped passes and questionable play-calling led to their loss to the Spartans.
- Oklahoma Sooners: Though the Sooners had the edge in total yards, time of possession, and first downs, the defense gave up way too many big plays in their loss to Iowa State.
- Florida Gators: The Gators couldn’t pull off big offensive plays in their loss to LSU.
- Florida State Seminoles: The Noles defense couldn’t slow down Miami late leading to their loss to the Canes.
- Louisville Cardinals: Quarterback Lamar Jackson was sacked four times and the defense gave up 520 yards in their loss to NC State.
- Utah Utes: The defense couldn’t stop Bryce Love and quarterback Troy Williams’ two interceptions stalled drives in their loss to Stanford.
Storylines Going into Week Seven:
Miami hosts Georgia Tech. Can Cal upset Washington State at home? TCU faces Kansas State. Texas Tech travels to West Virginia. It’s the battle of the Tigers as Auburn meets LSU.
Oklahoma will try to rebound against Texas in their annual Red River Rivalry in Dallas. Baylor battles Oklahoma State. Undefeated Navy goes to Memphis. Alabama hosts Arkansas. Ohio State meets Nebraska. Utah plays USC.
Michigan State is on upset alert against Minnesota. UCLA meets Arizona. Oregon plays Stanford. Boise State will try to derail San Diego State’s New Year Six Bowl hopes.