Connect with us

NEWS

CM Punk Makes Surprise Debut on WWE Backstage

Published

on

CM Punk

After weeks of rumors, CM Punk has officially joined the crew of FOX’s WWE Backstage with a surprise appearance at the end of Tuesday’s show.

The appearance marked the first time Punk had appeared on WWE television since 2014 when he left following that year’s Royal Rumble, rather bitterly and abruptly, and engaged in a verbal, and legal, feud with WWE for the next few years.

However, the tension has seemingly thawed in the last year or so, with Punk more open to a return, in some form or fashion, to the world of professional wrestling, and with fans continuing to clamor for his return.

Punk’s deal to join WWE Backstage is via FOX, and he revealed that he isn’t interested in a return to the ring.

“Yeah I did it,” Punk said, during an appearance on Collider Live (h/t WrestlingInc.com’s Raj Giri). “I’m very much in a position where, ‘Well come talk to me.’ I’m open to anything. If they come to me with, ‘Hey we want you to wrestle,’ I’ll say, ‘Um, I’m not interested.'”

My agents just called me and Fox is throwing everything at this because they spent a lot of money on this and they’re all in to make it work. Originally, I thought it was a WWE thing, so I was just like, ‘meh, no.’ But then they said, ‘This is Fox.’

“I’m not dealing with anybody in WWE. They explained to me what it was, and I love Renee Young. Renee Young is a great person … she’s Canadian, so obviously she’s super over-the-top nice and friendly. I prefaced it with, ‘Guys, I’m not going to come in and dump all over stuff just to dump on it. That’s old Phil. But if it’s bad, I’m not going to be able to pretend it’s anything but bad.

“So they want to present it like it’s a real sport and just have a show that recaps stuff, just like they do with the NFL, just like the NHL Network would do with hockey games and stuff like that. That’s where we are with that.”

While Punk may not be dealing directly with WWE at this point, this certainly opens the door to a renewed working relationship with WWE down the line.

You can check out his shocking appearance below:

Anthony DiMoro is the creator of Sports Rants and the CEO of Elite Rank Media and DiMoro Enterprises LLC. He is a former Contributor for Forbes and the Huffington Post where he covered sports, social media, and SEO. Anthony hosts the Anthony DiMoro Show podcast, and formerly hosted the 'Forbes SportsMoney Podcast'.

MLB

Major League Baseball Drops Marijuana, Adds Opioids, Cocaine to List of ‘Drugs Of Abuse’

Published

on

Major League Baseball officially announced a number of changes to it’s drug use and testing policies on Thursday, most notably removing marijuana from its “drugs of abuse” while announcing mandatory tests for cocaine and opioids, which will take place starting in 2020 during Spring Training.

“The opioid epidemic in our country is an issue of significant concern to Major League Baseball,” league Chief Legal Officer Dan Halem said, in an official statement. “It is our hope that this agreement – which is based on principles of prevention, treatment, awareness and education – will help protect the health and safety of our Players.”

League officials said changes to the policy were agreed to by the Players Association and made to protect athletes from lethal and addictive substances.

Marijuana will now be treated the same as alcohol and players caught using cannabis will be referred to a treatment board under specific conditions. However, athletes cannot be punished for failing to participate in a treatment program.

The policy change comes several months following the sudden death of Los Angeles Angels’ pitcher Tyler Skaggs, whose autopsy showed a presence of opioids and alcohol in his body. Furthermore, a medical examiner concluded that Skaggs choked on his vomit while under the influence of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication.”

“I think you saw it in terms of the reaction following that terrible event,” Manfred said, in the below video from the Los Angeles Post-Examiner. “I think that it was a motivating factor in the commissioner’s office and the MLBPA getting together and addressing in the context of our industry what is really a societal problem in terms of opioids.”

Continue Reading

NBA

Ex-NBA Commissioner David Stern Hospitalized Following Brain Hemorrhage

Published

on

David Stern

Former NBA commissioner David Stern, who is credited with globalizing the NBA during his monumental tenure atop the NBA organizatgion, was admitted to a New York City hospital Thursday afternoon after suffering a brain hemorrhage, according to an official league announcement.

“NBA Commissioner Emeritus David Stern suffered a sudden brain hemorrhage earlier today for which he underwent emergency surgery,” the NBA said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with David and his family.

New York’s fire department responded to a 911 emergency call at a Midtown restaurant at 1:59 pm EST, and transported Stern to Mount Sinai West medical center. There was no immediate word on his condition.

Stern, 77, served as NBA commissioner from 1984 until 2014 and was instrumental in building the NBA into a global force. During his tenure, the league added seven teams, relocated six other franchises, increased the league’s annual revenue from television contracts, and a boom in value of NBA franchises.

Continue Reading

New York Giants

Giants Waive Janoris Jenkins Following ‘Offensive’ Tweet to Fan

Published

on

Janoris Jenkins

The New York Giants have waived veteran defensive back Janoris Jenkins, two days after he tweeted an inappropriate response to a fan on Twitter.

When a fan was criticizing Jenkins on Twitter, Jenkins tweeted back at the fan, calling him a “retard” in response to the fan’s questioning of the statistics that Jenkins was using to demonstrate his effectiveness was not proving to be successful for the team.

Jenkins offered an odd explanation on Thursday, saying that the use of the word was “slang” and adding that it is “just part of my culture.”

“This was an organizational decision,” Giants’ head coach Pat Shurmur said (h/t ESPN). “From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor.”

Jenkins, 31, was released with one year and $11.25 million left on his contract. Jenkins collected 54 tackles and 4 interceptions this season for the Giants.

Jenkins issued the following response after he was released.

Continue Reading

Trending