Week 4 was a very entertaining week of college football. The action started off on Thursday night as the LSU defense dominated the vaunted Mississippi State spread attack, 19-6 in Starkville. Oklahoma proved they are for real as they took care of business in Tallahassee beating the Florida State Seminoles by a score of 23-13. Florida State made it interesting in the second half but the Sooners proved to be too much in the end. Brian Kelly and his fighting Irish of Notre Dame got their first win of the season beating Michigan State in impressive fashion 31-13. Notre Dame started off the season losing heart breakers to South Florida at home and Michigan in the big house but now have some confidence moving forward after beating a top 20 team.
Teams under the radar to watch out for:
1. The Florida International Golden Panthers are looking much improved in 2011. They are 3-0 with wins over Louisville and defending Conference USA champion, Central Florida.
4. After the departure of head coach Brady Hoke, there was not much expected out of the San Diego State Aztecs in 2011. They have exceeded expectations and their high powered offensive attack remains intact with quarterback Ryan Lindley and running back Ronnie Hillman leading the way. The Aztecs are looking like they will compete at the top of the MWC conference in 2011. They beat an improved Washington State team 42-24 Saturday. They will have a big test this week as they meet their former head man Brady Hoke and the Michigan Wolverines in the big house.
5. The Vanderbilt Commodores have not been relevant in the SEC for a while. The days of Jay Cutler seem long ago. Things could change in 2011 as the Commodores are off to a 3-0 start. They have looked solid in wins over Connecticut and Ole Miss.
Here are my top 25 teams heading into week 4:
1. Oklahoma (2-0) Last week @Florida State W 23-13, this week vs. Missouri
3. Boise State (2-0) Last week @Toledo W 40-15, this week vs. Tulsa
4. LSU (3-0) Last week @Mississippi State W 19-6, this week @West Virginia
6. Oregon (2-1), Last week vs Missouri State W 56-7, this week @Arizona
7. Wisconsin (3-0) Last week vs Northern Illinois W 49-7, this week vs South Dakota
9. Texas A&M (2-0) Last week vs Idaho W 37-7, this week vs Oklahoma State
10. Florida State (2-1) Last week vs Oklahoma L 13-23, this week @Clemson
11. Nebraska (3-0) Last week vs Washington W 51-38, this week @Wyoming
12. South Carolina (3-0) Last week vs Navy W 27-24, this week vs Vanderbilt
13. Virginia Tech (3-0) Last week vs Arkansas State W 26-7, this week @Marshall
14. Arkansas (3-0) Last week vs Troy W 38-28, this week @Alabama
15. West Virginia (3-0) Last week @Maryland W 37-31, this week vs LSU
16. Florida (3-0) Last week vs Tennessee W 33-23, this week @Kentucky
17. South Florida (3-0) Last week vs Florida A&M W 70-17, this week vs UTEP
18. Baylor (2-0) Last week vs Stephen F. Austin W 48-0, this week vs Rice
19. Clemson (3-0) Last week vs Auburn W 38-24, this week vs. Florida State
20. Texas (3-0) Last week @UCLA W 49-20, this week vs Iowa State
21. Houston (3-0) Last week @Louisiana Tech W 35-34, this week vs Georgia State
22. Michigan (3-0) Last week vs Eastern Michigan W 31-3, this week vs San Diego State
23. Illinois (3-0) Last week vs Arizona State W 17-14, this week vs Western Michigan
24. Georgia Tech (3-0) Last week vs Kansas W 66-24, this week vs North Carolina
25. North Carolina (3-0) Last week vs Virginia W 28-17, this week @Georgia Tech
Others receiving votes: Michigan State (2-1), Auburn (2-1), Penn State (2-1), Georgia (1-2), TCU (2-1), Utah (2-1), Mississippi State (1-2), Florida International (3-0), Iowa State (3-0), San Diego State (3-0), Vanderbilt (3-0), Arizona State (2-1), Missouri (2-1), Iowa (2-1), Pittsburgh (2-1), Central Florida (2-1), Miami, Fl (1-1), Texas Tech (2-0), Ohio State (2-1), Ohio (3-0), Air Force (1-1), Temple (2-1), Navy (2-1), Northwestern (2-1), Wake Forest (2-1), North Carolina State (2-1), Notre Dame (1-2), Purdue (2-1)