Charger’s Melvin Gordon Says Teammates Supporting Him in Contract Dispute

0
454
Melvin Gordon
Oct 23, 2016; Atlanta, GA, USA; San Diego Chargers running back Melvin Gordon (28) runs the ball against the Atlanta Falcons in the second quarter at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

As Los Angeles Chargers running back Melvin Gordon continues to push the organization for a new contract, he has the support of his teammates as he seeks a new, more lucrative deal.

Gordon, 26, is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which is a fifth-year option worth $5.6 million.

“They’re all behind me. They all got my back,” Gordon said, during an interview with ESPN. “They all told me, ‘You know what — we don’t really speak on contracts — but you just go and do what’s best for your family.’ And I’m glad I got that support from them.”

News surfaced last week that if the Chargers don’t work out a new deal with Gordon, the running back will not report to training camp and will officially request a trade.

“A lot of running backs have reached out to me just saying go out and get what you deserve,” Gordon said. “A lot. A lot of starters. A lot, a lot of backs.”

Despite the headlines that may suggest that a divorce could be on the horizon, Gordon stated that he wants to remain and Charger and wants Chargers fans to know that.

“Just because we’re going through contract issues right now doesn’t mean I want to get traded,” he said. “I love being a Charger. I don’t want them to feel like I don’t want to be there.”

Gordon said that he knows what he wants in a new deal, “and they know what I want, so we’re just going to see what happens.”

“I’m prepared to do what I got to do, but like I said, I hope it doesn’t come to that,” Gordon said.