Everyone loves a great comeback, whether it be in a game or by an individual player. The Comeback Player of the Year awards the player that was able to overcome an obstacle.
It could be an injury that cost them the previous year or some down years. Watching a player return to form after some tough times is part of what makes sports fun to watch. Here are five candidates that could take home the award in 2021.
- Dak Prescott, QB, Dallas Cowboys: When Prescott went down with a compound fracture in his ankle, so did the Cowboys. The Cowboys’ offense struggled after Prescott’s injury, and the team finished 6-10. With Prescott back, the Cowboys’ offense has a chance to be one of the best in the league. The NFC East is most likely going to be wide open again in 2021, and a healthy Prescott could be the key to the Cowboys winning. If that happens, he’ll be the one to beat for the award.
- Carson Wentz, QB, Indianapolis Colts: Wentz has been struggling to get back to his 2017 form. After tearing his ACL late in 2017, he has struggled with consistency and injuries. After Jalen Hurts impressed the Eagles enough to give him a shot at the job, Wentz was traded to the Colts. With the Colts, he’ll have a 1000-yard rusher in Jonathan Taylor, a great offensive line, and some talented young receivers. Wentz returning to form along with a playoff berth for the Colts would give him a strong case.
- Von Miller, OLB, Denver Broncos: One thing that has been learned of Von Miller is to never count him out. Miller has been a Defensive Rookie of the Year, a seven-time All-Pro, and a Super Bowl MVP. Miller lost all of last year with a tendon injury, and he just turned 32. However, he could still have something left in the tank. Him winning Comeback Player of the Year in his 11th season would add to his already Hall-of-Fame career.
- Saquon Barkley, RB, New York Giants: Barkley going down with a torn ACL in week two hurt the Giants. The team was in the division until the end, mainly because the NFC East was terrible last year. Having Barkley might have been just what the team needed to clinch it at the end. Not only that, but Barkley is an exciting player to watch, and not seeing him on the field was sad. Now that he’s hopefully healthy, the Giants get their centerpiece of the offense back. Him rushing for 1000 yards and making exciting plays will put him in the running for Comeback Player of the Year.
- Derwin James, S, LA Chargers: James has had injury problems the last two seasons. He missed 11 games in 2019 and all of last season with a torn meniscus. When he was healthy in rookie season, he was an All-Pro. The Chargers’ defense is better with him on the field, and he has to stay healthy. If James can stay on the field, offenses will have a tough time trying to game plan against him.