Week four saw some solid performances and some intriguing results. Here are my winners and losers.
- Georgia Bulldogs: Quarterback Jake Fromm threw for two touchdowns. Running back Nick Chubb rushed for two touchdowns. The defense caught two interceptions as the Bulldogs pounded the Mississippi State Bulldogs 31-3. So far, Georgia has passed every test.
- Penn State Nittany Lions: Running back Sequon Barkley rushed for 211 yards and a touchdown. But it was quarterback Trace McSorley’s seven-touchdown pass to wide receiver Juwon Johnson as time expired helped the Lions squeak pass the Iowa Hawkeyes 21-19. Lions avoid the upset at Kinnick Stadium.
- TCU Horned Frogs: Running back Darius Anderson rushed for 160 yards and three touchdowns. The defense caught three interceptions as the Horned Frogs dominated the Oklahoma State Cowboys 44-31.
- North Carolina State Wolfpack: Quarterback Ryan Finley threw for two touchdowns, both to tight end Jaylen Samuels. The Wolfpack upset the Florida State Seminoles 27-21. It’s State’s first win over a ranked team since 2008. We see you, NC State!!
- USC Trojans: Quarterback Sam Darnold threw for two touchdowns. The defense caught four interceptions as the Trojans held off the California Golden Bears 30-20.
- Michigan Wolverines: In relief of quarterback Wilson Speight, John O’Korn threw for 273 yards and a touchdown. Running back Chris Evans rushed for two touchdowns. The defense had five sacks as the Wolverines pulled away from the Purdue Boilermakers 28-10. Give them, Penn State, and USC credit for avoiding upset in hostile environments.
- Arizona State Sun Devils: Kicker Brandon Ruiz’s go-ahead field goal with 2:33 left helped the Sun Devils past the Oregon Ducks 37-35, getting head coach Todd Graham off the hot seat, for now.
- UCF Knights: The defense had five sacks and defensive back Mike Hughes’ pick six helped the Knights stunned the Maryland Terrapins 38-10. Great win for the program and head coach Scott Frost.
- Oklahoma State Cowboys: Turnovers and their defense not being able to get off the field cost the Cowboys in their loss to TCU. We knew the Cowboys’ defense would be a hindrance and it was this week.
- Mississippi State Bulldogs: Turnovers and not being able to slow down Georgia’s offense were these Bulldogs’ undoing.
- Florida State Seminoles: Being only 4 for 14 on third downs stalled drives in their loss to NC State. Perhaps a 21-day layoff due to Hurricane Irma may have played a slight role as well.
- California Golden Bears: Quarterback Ross Bowers’ four interceptions doomed California in their loss to USC.
- Colorado Buffaloes: Quarterback Steven Montez’s three interceptions and not be able to slow down Washington running back Myles Gaskin, who rushed for 202 yards and two touchdowns as the Buffs lose to the Huskies 37-10.
- Kentucky Wildcats: Wildcats couldn’t hold onto a 13-point lead late eventually losing to the Florida Gators 28-27. Once again, Kentucky couldn’t seize the opportunity and that’s 31 losses in a row to Florida.
Storylines Going Into Week Five:
Texas goes to Iowa State. Miami’s on upset alert against Duke. USC faces Washington State. Vanderbilt will try to bounce back at Florida. North Carolina meets Georgia Tech.
Indiana could be another trap game for Penn State. Georgia travels to Tennessee. Auburn hosts Mississippi State. Memphis plays UCF. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will play first to 50.
Northern Illinois travels cross-country and play San Diego State. California meets Oregon.