The 2021 NFL season opens in just a few weeks. With the season so close to starting, everyone is excited to see how the year will go.
Who will make the playoffs? Who will win the Players of the Year awards? Which two teams will make it to the Super Bowl? Of course, fans will not know the answers to these questions until everything happens. However, it’s not going to start people from having their thoughts on them.
Here are my thoughts on who will win each division in the 2021 season. I know most likely 50% of these are not going to be correct, however, it is fun to predict them.
- AFC East: Buffalo Bills; The Bills won the AFC East last year, and they could be better in 2021. Josh Allen just signeda huge extension, while Stefon Diggs is in his second year with the team. The team addressed their edge rush in the draft with their first two picks. The Patriots and Dolphins could make a run for the crown after the moves they made in the offseason. However, Buffalo may be too tough to bring down this year.
- NFC East: Washington Football Team; Just about anyone could win this division because of how many questions this division has. Washington won the NFC East last year with a 7-9 record. They should be the favorites to win it in 2021. They have maybe the best front four out of anyone in the NFL. The Giants gave them a run last year, but there are still questions surrounding Quarterback Daniel Jones. The Cowboys have defensive concerns, while the Eagles are trying to rebuild. Right now, it’s Washington’s division to lose.
- AFC North: Cleveland Browns; The AFC North is tough, as the Browns, Ravens, and Steelers all could be in it to the very end. The Browns are the pick here, as they may have the most complete team. They look to have gotten better after winning a playoff game against the Steelers last year. The Browns added Jadeveon Clowney, Greg Newsome, and John Johnson in the offseason. The Ravens have concerns at edge rusher and on the offensive line, while Ben Roethlisberger showed signs of slowing down last year with the Steelers. This division will come down to the end, and the Browns might have the best chance to come out on top.
- NFC North: Green Bay Packers; With the Aaron Rodgers drama over, for now, the Packers should have the best chance to win the NFC North again. The Lions are in the middle of a rebuild that will take at least a few years. The Bears, meanwhile, need to get consistent quarterback play to have a chance. The Vikings are a wild card, as anything could happen with them this year. As long as Aaron Rodgers is on the field, the Packers are the choice to take home the NFC North crown.
- AFC South: Tennessee Titans; Probably the biggest shock that 2021 could bring us is if the Titans don’t win the AFC South. The Texans have question marks just about everywhere right now. The Jaguars are coming off a 1-15 season and are breaking in a rookie quarterback. As for the Colts, the play of Carson Wentz could determine if they are a playoff team or not. The Titans could be the first division winner in 2021 if things go their way.
- NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers; The Bucs won the Super Bowl as a wild card team last year. They return all 22 starters from that team. Because of that, they are the favorites in the NFC South to start the season. The Saints won the crown last year, however, will have a new quarterback after the retirementof Drew Brees. The Falcons have a new head coach and questions surrounding their whole team. The Panthers could be the Bucs’ biggest competition, however, it all depends on the play of quarterback Sam Darnold.
- AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs; Despiting losing the Super Bowl last year, the Chiefs have the best oddsto win it all this year. No surprise given that they have Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, and all the weapons around him. KC also decided that a change on the offensive line was necessary. They cut Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz, signed Joe Thuney and Kyle Long, traded for Orlando Brown, and drafted Creed Humphrey. The Chargers might give the Chiefs some problems in winning the division again. However, if the new-look line keeps Mahomes upright, it would be hard to bet against them.
- NFC West: Los Angeles Rams; There could be a case made that every team in the NFC West has a chance to win the division. The Seahawks won the NFC West last year, however, they have questions with their defense. The Cardinals struggled down the stretch last year, and there are still concerns about head coach Kliff Kingsbury. The 49ers struggled with injuries last year and could have a quarterback controversy on their hands. The Rams, meanwhile, have a great defense led by Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey. On offense, Matthew Stafford has a team that, on paper, can support him better than the Lions ever did. If Stafford and the defense continue to play good football, they could take the division.